Ex-Bills WR Stefon Diggs Makes Bold Statement After Joining New Team

Stefon Diggs Las Vegas Raiders New England Patriots

Former Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stefon Diggs showed last season that he was fully recovered from the season-ending knee injury he suffered the year before, but he has even more to prove this season.

Diggs landed with the Washington Commanders this week, a near-homecoming of sorts for the Maryland native and the end of months on the free-agent market. Diggs spoke out about his new team this week, saying he believes he’s still one of the top wide receivers in the NFL.


Stefon Diggs Still Confident in Himself

After joining the Commanders, Diggs said he believes he’s still playing at a top level in the NFL.

“I say two on camera, but in my heart, I’m going to say [best] No. 1,” Diggs said Friday, per ESPN’s John Keim.

As Bleacher Report noted, Diggs had made a similar statement earlier this summer, declaring that he still sees himself as a bona fide No. 1 receiver.

“My opinion, I can compete with anybody,” Diggs said. “But take those [top wide receivers] as your 1s, right? You can’t name a No. 2 better than me.”

“There’s not a No. 2 on a team — let’s presumably give people the credit and just say, ‘OK, you want to take the No. 1 spot away,’ ” he added. “Name your No. 2 receiver right now, and tell me how much he makes, and then my last question is: Is he better than me?”

Before he signed with the Commanders this week, Diggs had stirred up speculation that he could consider a return to Buffalo. He posted a video on social media showing his highlights with the Bills, despite a somewhat contentious split when he was traded to the Houston Texans in 2024.


Bills Find New No. 1 Receiver

The Bills adopted an “everybody eats” approach after trading Diggs, spreading targets out to a wider group of pass-catchers, but that found limitations last year as the team’s receivers struggled to get separation.

The Bills made some late-season moves to address the problems, signing veteran Mecole Hardman and claiming Brandin Cooks off waivers. They made another big move this offseason, trading for deep threat D.J. Moore as a potential new No. 1 receiver for Josh Allen.

The Athletic’s Tim Graham said Moore has looked sharp in camp, but cautioned fans to temper their expectations.

“Moore has looked sensational at camp, but you would expect that from a ninth-year vet with four 1,000-yard seasons,” Graham wrote. “But some fans and even media are acting like Moore will look like Randy Moss. Granted, Moore hasn’t played with a quarterback as skilled as Allen, and perhaps something previously hidden will be unlocked, but Moore is 29 and never has been selected for so much as a Pro Bowl.”